Saturday, October 4, 2008

So all of you can go skiing...

My husband leaves me 3 out of 4 weeks of the month for 5 months out of the year to help finish building ski lifts. We met at work, Doppelmayr CTEC, which is a company that manufactures ski lifts. If you go skiing or snowboarding, more chances than not you are on one of our lifts. Will is an Electical Engineer and does electrical work for the ski lifts. So come August, when the construction guys are done with their work, he travels around to the ski areas where we're installing lifts to get them finished and running. They usually finish their busy travel season by the end of December...but can be gone for two of the biggest holidays for the year, Thanksgiving and Christmas. He was here for both holidays last year, but the year before he was out of town for both, so you never know what's going to happen each year...

It's been a challenge for both of us, learning to deal with being apart so early in our marriage. He works so many hours that there can be days he's not getting back to his hotel or condo till late, and we won't get to talk that day. I always feel bad when I hear the amount of hours he puts in everyday, and there's nothing I can do to help him feel more comfortable and less tired. They work straight through the weeks...no weekends off and are working hard. I've been lucky to have my younger sister come and stay with me while Will is gone. I don't like being home a lone, with no one to talk to. It's hardest during the weekends, when I have all day to notice being all alone. I am getting used to it, but am counting down the months when he's finally done travelling, and we'll be jetting off to Mexico for a much needed vacation in the sun!

1 comment:

Pilkington Family said...

It is really good that your sister can come stay with you. Sisters are awesome...I don't know what I would have done if Lauren hadn't come stay with us that last month of my pregnancy while Aaron was gone!! Glad to see you started your blog:)